Basketball is a fast-paced game with plenty of running and jumping — and high odds someone might fall, get knocked down, or be hit with the ball. Most basketball injuries tend to be minor and include ankle sprains, jammed fingers, and bruises. Torn ligaments and tendons and fractured bones can sideline a player, but they’re not life-threatening.
However, all it takes is an injured player and a single lawsuit to shut down your youth basketball league. An insurance policy specifically designed for youth leagues can protect your organization, your players, and your equipment so you can continue offering young people the chance to develop their basketball skills and learn how to work as part of a team.
Protect Your Organization
Accidents happen no matter how well you train your players and watch their movements on the court. A youth basketball insurance policy protects players, coaches, and volunteers from injury and property damage claims and third-party lawsuits that can bankrupt the group or the individual.
Facilities and tournament hosts typically want to see proof of insurance before they give you access to the gym or let you participate in a competition. Although this is designed to protect them, the requirement also benefits you. It forces you to get the protection you need for your organization and the people involved with it.
Protect Your Players
Nearly four million children in the United States do not have health insurance. If something happens to them on the field, their parents have to pay for treatment out of pocket. Even those who do have insurance coverage may be underinsured and lack the funds to cover the full costs of treatment. Unfortunately, this can increase the likelihood that a parent may sue the organization if an injury or accident occurs.
A youth basketball league policy with secondary accident medical coverage can help pay for the injuries players sustain during practice or a game. Not only does this protect your league, but it may also lower the parents’ financial burden if their child gets hurt and needs costly medical care in an emergency room or urgent care facility.
Protect Your Equipment
Compared to other sports, basketball is relatively affordable. However, you still need uniforms for the players, and players may need protective gear like basketball shoes, kneepads, and mouthguards. When you consider the number of players on your league’s teams, equipment costs can quickly add up.
When equipment is damaged, lost, or stolen, your youth basketball league insurance policy can help you pay to replace what’s missing. This frees up your league’s funds so you can focus on building your teams and creating opportunities for your players.
Youth Basketball League Insurance Options
ESP Specialty offers customizable insurance solutions for youth basketball leagues of all sizes. You can build a policy that meets your specific needs, starting with required general liability and secondary accident medical coverage. Then you can customize the policy with additional layers of protection.
- General Liability: Protection for players, coaches, and volunteers after an injury, property damage, or lawsuit. You can add coverage for claims of sexual abuse and molestation.
- Secondary Accident Medical: Help your players cover the costs of medical treatment when they are injured or involved in an accident during a game or travel to or from a game or practice. You can extend this coverage to coaches and referees, as well.
- Catastrophic Secondary Accident Medical Excess Coverage: This additional recommended coverage provides up to $1 million to pay medical costs for youth participants who are injured during play.
- Directors and Officers Coverage: Give your league’s directors and offices protection if they face breach of duty or negligence charges.
- Inland Marine Protection: This coverage protects your league’s equipment if it is damaged or lost during a game or when you’re transporting it to or from a game or tournament.
- Crime protection: Protection for league funds if someone within the organization steals or embezzles them.
When you consider the amount of time you dedicate to creating and operating a youth basketball league, it makes sense to protect your investment of time and money. We understand that each league’s risk is unique and want to help you find the right solution for your organization. Request a quote for your basketball team, league or tournament insurance.
Go Ahead We Have You Covered